Monday, November 2, 2015

On the Origin of Pinapples

(from October 25)

Do you know pineapples grow on a bush? And they are, in fact, berries? I sure didn't. The 83-year-old student in our English class however is an expert on pineapples. I asked the harmless question, "where do pineapples grow?"  And then witnessed a debate between an elder and this older gentleman, his argument was, "I once read a book on the origin of pineapples. "In America, that would be some sort of sarcastic joke. And now, I will probably use that as a comeback. But it was the funniest thing I had ever experienced… All of us doubled over laughing, while he looked around, confused at what we thought was so funny. Oh, unintentional humor. The best.

One night this week, we were walking down the street at about 8:30 PM, when a man in a suit and a white hat was walking towards us. I thought he looks kind of sketchy, but we say good evening to him as he passed. He turned around and said, "wait, are you the Mormon missionaries? "We said we were, and he said, "oh, I saw you in the newspaper!" He then looked at me, "are you the one that's related to Abraham Lincoln? My friend has the copy of his movie that you signed." WHAT. A month later, and I'm still raking in the celebrity status! Hopefully when I meet President Lincoln in heaven, he doesn't resent me for this. It's just so funny! The guy was all too excited to shake my hand. The life of a foreigner in Japan. 

My birthday was a lot of fun! We ate dinner at the home of one of our investigators. He had worked to prepare this meal from Saturday night until Monday! It was delicious, but so much food, it was all I could do to keep going. Japanese people are so generous! Wednesday night, a member family called us during finding at night and told us to come over right now - and gave me a present! I felt so much love! Being 20 is exciting, but a little scary. Am I supposed to know how to live life now??

Wednesday, we learned calligraphy, but my Japanese writing skills are C- at best, so that was an adventure. It's such an art - welcome to Asia!

The work in Japan continues on! We are working hard at building up the church here in Beppu. We are learning a lot about faith and relying on God to direct us in what he wants us to do. Thank you for all the prayers and love! Sending it right back at you!

Love,

Sister Janette Jorgensen
Japan Fukuoka Mission
9-16 Hiraozyosuimachi, Chuo-ku
Fukuoka, Fukuoka
Japan 810-0029

No comments:

Post a Comment