Monday, November 2, 2015

Feeling the Love

(from October 4)



Hi everyone! Hope this email finds you well and happy!

This has been a crazy week. We're having a harder time teaching lessons, as our investigators are starting to fall away. But we still teach lessons on the street and spend lots of time finding. It's amazing but people actually do agree to pray with us on the street, then and there, even if they have never heard of God before. It proves to me that we can feel the spirit and love of God at any time and place. 

This week, I experienced four new unique-to-Japan (or at least foreign-to-me) foods. Japanese McDonald's: so good! I had a shrimp burger (shrimp, lettuce, and sauce..whatever you want to call that). And I decided I like ketchup! Almost 20 years in the making, I leave America of all places and then decide to like it. That happened because a member bought it for us. When people buy you food, you eat it. Plus, ketchup is pretty harmless in terms of foods members could give you. 

Less harmless: natto. Fermented soy beans. Japanese health food and disgusting. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I also ate intestines (why would anyone eat that? It's not gross, just weird and rubbery. If you're going to take in calories, they might as well be delicious) and a little fish - bones, eyeballs, and all. And lived to tell the tale! I'd never choose to do that at home, but I guess missions give us all sorts of ways to grow!

MIRACLE: my money supply was running low because this month, I get about 60% of what I usually get per month. I was worried about paying groceries, transportation, fast offering, etc. Then, out of the blue, I noticed the flap of my purse where I keep money was really heavy. I found that there was a tear in the lining inside. Behind the lining, there were coins! This morning, I dug out the coins and found 3225¥ (about $32) in my purse! That is huge! That was the exact amount I needed to pay fast offering for this month and groceries for this week. I don't know why I didn't notice it sooner, but the Lord sent me manna when I needed it! I know that as we do our best to follow His commandments, we receive more blessings than we can think of!

This week, Sister Chun and I have been talking a lot about the Plan of Salvation, mainly things that aren't explicitly taught or maybe even known. The more we think and talk about these things, the more my testimony of and love for Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ has been strengthened. Maybe right now I don't know what spirits are made of, how the process of judgment works, or the nature of heirs of the terrestrial glory, but I know the Plan is perfect because its Creator is perfect. It's fun to think about deep things like this, but the important thing to remember is that we are children of a loving Heavenly Father and by following His direction, we can be eternally happy with our families. The most important things we can know are taught to four-year-olds. The rest comes as we are able to receive it - line upon line, precept upon precept. The Lord never gives us more trial, temptation, knowledge, or responsibility than we can handle. 

It's an honor to be a missionary here in Japan. I'm grateful every day for the miracles, challenges, growth, and setbacks that come because I know they are all for my good and that of those around me. Whatever phase of life we may be in, let's enjoy it to the fullest while looking for ways to ease others' burdens. That's what Christ would do. 

I love you all! Thank you for your love and prayers!

Love,

Janette

No comments:

Post a Comment