Monday, November 2, 2015

Never Forget to Show Hospitality to Strangers

(from September 27)

I'm sure it was a beautiful, eloquent statement in Japanese, but when it was translated into English in the middle of a sacrament talk, it was all I could do not burst out laughing. My English is suffering badly - either I don't speak it or I see places with awfully-constructed phrases. Apologizing in advance. 

It's been a good week - not much new has happened. Yesterday Sister Chun and I taught Sunday School for the first time. 45 minutes on The Creation...could I even do that in English? Sure couldn't in Japanese. It was a struggle. Thankfully, people participated some and we made up some semi-relevant questions. Ohhhh, it was so hard. We don't know a lot about the creation in the first place! One of the mysteries of God that show His love for us. 

The Japanese is coming well, despite the lesson. We taught a less-active member this week, and when I spoke, the words just flowed. I'm so grateful for that! I know it was the power of God helping me then and always. Japanese sounds natural, even if it's a word I don't understand. I never would have expected that to happen. But the gift of tongues is real and is supporting me in my efforts to reach the gospel to God's children here in Japan. What a blessing!!

I made a quesadilla this week! It was the first I had had in four months. How I have missed Mexican food! But I love the food here too - haven't eaten anything I don't like :)

I've studied the Book of Mormon a lot this week, more than my usual "a lot." I always feel God's love for me as I read it. The gospel of Jesus Christ (how to be happy in this life and in eternity) is laid out so plainly, even amidst the old-English style. I've been able to apply it to my investigators' lives as well as my own. I loved 2 Nephi 25:28 - "the right way is to believe in Christ." Roger that :) part of showing our belief in Christ is praying every day. Sometimes I'm so tired, I fall asleep praying, but I know God hears the part I do say and understands the rest. If we pray to Him every day, we will receive the help we need and more. 

The Church is true!

I love you all!

Sister Janette Jorgensen
Japan Fukuoka Mission
9-16 Hiraozyosuimachi, Chuo-ku
Fukuoka, Fukuoka
Japan 810-0029

No comments:

Post a Comment