Thursday, December 31, 2015

Transfer 3 over and out

(December 15)

Here's a couple of highlights from this week:
1. We met a guy on the train who we think is ex-yakuza (Japanese mafia). He had a full-on python bag, and made a huge deal about showing us his new 3300 dollar Burberry coat he'd just bought, complete with the receipt in a little gold envelope. Oh, and his thumb had totally been cut off and grafted back on. I know it's usually the pinky, but it was the grossest thing I've ever seen. Reminded me of the Phantom of the Opera. So there was that. 

2. I got to visit my first Japanese castle today! It was beautiful, even though it was raining a lot. I love this country, it's so beautiful!

3. We've had three random people come up to us this week, saying "hey, sisters!" and we have no idea who they are. But they want to be taught the gospel, so we're gonna teach them! Heavenly Father is putting awesome people in our path!

4. I can't believe my third transfer is over! They go twice as fast as the preceding one, I'm telling you. For the next two transfers, I will be staying here in Iwakuni and training a new sister missionary coming from the states right about...now! I'm so excited for this opportunity! We're going to have the most fun and see the most miracles :)

5. I took the famous Japanese bullet train for the first time yesterday! It was super expensive so I don't get to do it a lot, but it was so fun! Even more fun was when I realized I can navigate the train/bus experience all by myself! I cannot get over how much I love this place and my mission in general!

The next time I talk to you, it'll be Christmas! So excited to be able to Skype my family, but more than that, I'm grateful to be able to celebrate the birth, ministry, and Atonement of my Savior, Jesus Christ. Truly I am and would be nothing without His constant care. Even though this year I'm not doing my usual holiday activities and concerts, I still feel that special Christmas spirit as I testify to people everyday of its importance. Sadly, in Japanese, the word for "Christmas" doesn't even have "Christ" in it. As we keep Him the focus of our upcoming weeks (and lives), we will be happiest!



No comments:

Post a Comment